Retired Police Officer - RPO
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068
609-882-2000 Extension 2290 (Phone)
To obtain an Initial Retired Police Officer Identification Card, please follow these instructions. Failure to follow this process
will delay your application process. Do not submit an initial application prior to two (2) months before the anticipated date of
retirement. Submitted applications will not be accepted or processed and will be returned to the applicant. PLEASE ensure that all
questions on form S.P. 232 are answered. Any incomplete forms will be returned. Do not submit an initial application prior to
two (2) months before the anticipated date of retirement. Submitted applications will not be accepted or processed and will be returned
to the applicant.
The INITIAL application will include the following:
- Form S.P. 232 PART I ONLY. DO NOT have PART 2 of form filled out prior to your
submission. The Firearms Investigation Unit will mail PART 2 of the form to your former employer for proper verification.
Failure to follow this process will delay your application.
- Block # 9 on form S.P. 232 is the four digit municipal code in the New Jersey
municipality where you reside. If this is unknown, contact you local authority for the correct information.
- Your State Bureau of Identification (SBI) number must be entered in block #15 of the application. If you do not have a
SBI number, please leave blank and a form will be mailed to out to be fingerprinted for the RPO program. If you have questions
regarding this process, contact the Firearms Investigation Unit, RPO program.
- Consent For Mental Health Records Search Form, S.P. 66 (Rev. 01/15). Complete
Part One ONLY. Sign the form and have any adult sign as a witness. Print "New Jersey State Police – F.I.U./ RPO" in the appropriate
space for the Investigating Police Department. Parts 2 & 3 MUST be left blank.
- Retired law enforcement officer firearms training record. This is a specific qualification course and only forms
provided by an approved firearms instructor will be accepted (All firearms instructors must be registered with the Firearms
Investigation Unit, before they qualify retired law enforcement officers). For all initial applicants, a firearms training
record will only be accepted no earlier than three months prior to filing the application. A retired law enforcement officer
must qualify twice per calendar year, minimum three months apart, as per the New Jersey Attorney General's guidelines.
The applicant must submit a new firearms training record after each qualification. Insert your State Bureau of Identification
number on the lower right hand corner of the firearms training record.
- Two (2) passport style color photographs. Applicants must be photographed in civilian attire only, without wearing a hat
or sunglasses. NO EXCEPTIONS. (Photographs must be "passport style," 2 inch x 2 inch with a light background and labeled with
name and social security number of the applicant on the back of each photograph).
- Application Fee - $50.00 (Annually). Payable to "Superintendent of State Police" in the form of a personal check
or money order.
- Flag Fee - $10.00. Payable to "Division of State Police- SBI" in the form of money order only. Applicants who are not
required to be fingerprinted (have a SBI number) shall only pay the $10.00 flag fee.
Back | Top